Karen Strid ¦ BHHS Fox & Roach-Rosemont ¦ 610-724-6840
About This 1782 Stone House In Malvern Pennsylvania
Unbelievable combination of old and new! (This listing is reflected in mls twice to capture the 1782 and 2012 wings.) Drive over a gated bridge and back into history, to the days of the American Revolution, when an English-style farmhouse built in 1782 hosted nurses who cared for the wounded at a nearby church. Today, that carefully renovated Colonial-era stone structure comprises one wing of an exceptional 5/6-bedroom, 5-bath home with nearly 7,300 sq. ft. above grade on 5 private, beautifully manicured acres abutting Valley Creek and Cedar Hollow Natural Preserves Conservancy and Trail in Tredyffrin Township.
Designed by Period Architecture, Ltd., of Malvern, a substantial 2012 addition was built by expert craftsman and Hungarian stone mason Otto Honyak, the previous owner, to form the home’s center and left wings. All stone for the project came from the property, known as Cold Springs Farm. Step through the oak and leaded glass front door into a harmonious blend of period details, organic materials and modern conveniences. You’ll find 20-in.-thick stone walls, extensive stonework throughout, hand-hewn salvaged timber beams, and custom wrought-iron hardware and light fixtures.
Curved walls and arched doorways all call to mind another time, while radiant heated floors, upgraded LED lighting, whole-house generator and security system, 11 wood burning fireplaces (most plumbed for conversion to gas) are among the amenities for today’s lifestyle. Fully renovated in 2012, the original wing houses a spacious formal dining room and a library/billiards room, w/ random-width knotty oak floors, a powder room, and a 1,100+ sq. ft. walk-out lower-level bonus room w/ fireplace, marble floor and brick-veneered ceiling.
The newer center and left wings, completed in 2012, carry the detailing forward. They house the living room, w/ glass doors leading to a slate patio, and family room, which features soaring beamed ceilings, 2-story stone mantel and glass doors to the patio and fenced in yard. In the period-inspired state-of-the-art kitchen, stone walls and a large stone-and-tile hearth, a fireplace, beamed ceiling and arched doorways, w/ a mix of tile, wood and brick flooring create ambience, while 2 stainless steel Wolf ovens, a Sub-Zero refrigerator, pizza oven, LED lighting and gas cooking add contemporary convenience.
The large center island has a farmhouse sink, wooden butcher block and quartz countertops. The kitchen area includes a “keeping room” sitting area, a breakfast nook, a walk-in pantry and access to the mudroom and climate-controlled wine cellar. Windows overlook the courtyard. Front and back stairs lead upstairs.
Behind a rustic wooden door, the private primary bedroom suite in the original wing features a vaulted, beamed ceiling and fireplace, and a loft. The sumptuous ensuite bath has a walk-in closet, built-in burled wood cabinets, a 6×6-ft. glass steam shower. Stone stairs lead to a large jetted soaking tub above the shower, w/ an additional fireplace for the ultimate in relaxation.
Across the landing, in the addition, 2 bedrooms have walk-in closets and ensuite baths, a 3rd has an ensuite bath, a walk-in closet and adjoining bonus room w/ vaulted ceiling, which is currently used as a 6th bedroom. Laundry room in hall. Above the attached 2-car garage is a 1 bed/1 bath apartment w/ a kitchen and an open-concept room. The property also includes a 2-story mid-19th-century barn, fully renovated w/ steel beams and concrete in 2012, w/ 3 garage bays and a rear upper-level entrance.
A rustic 2-story “entertainment cabin” built in 2012 has a fireplace on each level. A brick-paved courtyard and garden w/ fountain and wrought-iron fencing, a stone gazebo w/ fireplace and a pond adorn the grounds. Centrally located 3.7 miles to Paoli train station that Acela services, approx. 1 mile to PA Turnpike and 202 w/ access to 76/476, 40 minutes to Center City and airport, 15 minutes to Wayne.