About This 1860 Fixer Upper For Sale In Campbellsburg Indiana
Here’s your chance to own and restore one of Washington County’s most picturesque Victorian residences. Grist mill and mercantile owner John Teague Collins Wilkins built the two-story frame house c.1860 in Campbellsburg, and his son William C. Wilkins gave the property a Queen Anne makeover in the late 1890s, taking inspiration from the designs of popular pattern book architect George F. Barber of Knoxville, Tennessee. William transformed the modest house into a confection of bay windows with horseshoe and arched stained-glass windows, spindled fretwork porches, and ornate rooftop cresting — many details that remain today. (Read more about the home’s history.)
With approximately 2,063 square feet of living space, the house features original exterior porch trim, bay window detailing, Eastlake style entry doors, and numerous stained-glass windows. On the interior, natural oak woodwork, wide board plank flooring, pocket doors, two fireplace mantels, beaded board corner cabinets, and a paneled oak staircase reflect the Barber-designed updates to the house. Past renovations have introduced beaded board and ornamental pressed metal ceilings in some rooms. Newer drywall walls are found throughout, and many pieces of original interior and exterior trim have been stockpiled inside for future installation.
The first floor includes a living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, utility room, pantry storage, bathroom, and two additional rooms that could accommodate a principal bedroom with private bath and closet. The second floor features an additional sitting room, two bedrooms, a large bath, and two large walk-in closets.
The house will require complete rehabilitation inside and out, with upgrades needed in the kitchen, bathrooms, and heating and cooling systems. Outside, the siding, porches, boxed gutters and eaves, decorative detailing , and some stained-glass windows need repair.
The property occupies an approximate half-acre lot that includes the house and four historic outbuildings, including a wash house, canning house, smokehouse (which must be moved), and a corner store that once served as the Wilkins shoe repair shop.
The property is being sold “as is” subject to preservation covenants that will guide rehabilitation of significant interior and exterior architectural features. The owner will be required to complete exterior rehabilitation of all buildings within 20 months following purchase and bring the house within a habitable state within two years. Within a year of purchase, the buyer will be required to install a fence between the Wilkins house property and the adjacent city lot where a municipal water well is located. Specific well-field protection requirements will be imposed along the south property line area near the city well to ensure no ground source contamination occurs from this property.
Campbellsburg is located in Washington County and has a population of approximately 517 residents. It is 10 miles northwest of Salem along State Road 60, an hour’s drive from Louisville, Kentucky, and Bloomington, Indiana. For more information or to arrange a tour, contact Indiana Landmarks’ Southern Regional Office, 812-284-4534.