Angelica Ferguson ¦ Four Seasons Sotheby’s Int’l Realty Kg ¦ 845-331-3100
About This 1876 The Rifton For Sale In Rifton New York
Introducing The Rifton, a fully restored and masterfully renovated 1876 stone residence perched above the Walkill River between Kingston and New Paltz, in the hamlet of Rifton, NY. Over the years The Rifton has served as a church, a town hall, and the batiment canards for a local duck farm, and the current incarnation beautifully preserves this spirit of gathering and community throughout all the living, entertaining and work spaces spanning over 6,000sq ft. Preserving original elements from each of the iterations,
The Rifton has been artfully restored with incredible attention to detail and wabi-sabi modernism, resonating throughout the space in the perfectly imperfect details like exposed beams and bedrock ledges, original stone walls and pine floors, and antique doors layered in timeless patina. Down a gravel path, the entrance to the home is shielded by a gentle canopy of lush foliage that plays whimsically against the stone facade.
The front door opens into a vestibule created from bedrock and imported terrazzo tile with a storage cave tucked behind an oversized barn door and a convenient mudroom just before the main living space. Light from the 7ft tall original windows streams into the living room and eat-in kitchen, bathing the space in natural light and accenting the exposed beams and custom staircase constructed from reclaimed wood. Off the open-concept living space are three bedrooms and two full bathrooms.
The primary bedroom suite offers a walk-in closet and full bathroom with glass shower, exceptionally designed to highlight the natural bedrock walls and ledges. Two tranquil guest bedrooms and an incredible 5-piece custom concrete bathroom finish off this level. The 2nd level of The Rifton is comprised of a massive entertaining space with soaring 30ft ceilings and custom stone and steel firepit that looks plucked from a Viking mead hall. Views of nature abound through the 32 original windows set in natural stone walls and 16ft glass sliding doors that lead to a deck perched 3 stories above the Walkill river.
Lofted above the great room is a fourth bedroom with full bath, and adjacent is the vaulted atelier space dubbed ‘The Tower’ as it spans five stories. Ideal for live/work applications, The Tower is a mix of stone & steel with open common areas connected by a spiral staircase. The former church steeple offers a meditative space with long range views of the river, the surrounding countryside, and the property below.