About This 1858 Fixer Upper For Sale In Dunbartonshire Scotland
The Linn is a beautiful Victorian mansion house that occupies an elevated setting above the most beautiful gardens in the area. However, the property has sadly been neglected while the garden was nurtured and is now in need of significant repair and restoration. Built of stone and slate over two floors the floorplans depict a magnificent seven bedroom house with period features and huge character, waiting to be resurrected by a new owner.
Wooden staircases, bow and bay windows, ornate cornicing and intricate stained glass windows can all be found intact within the house and form the basis of this outstanding property. Generous reception rooms and bright bedrooms are equally in abundance with a good balance of bedroom and bathrooms to form the perfect family home.
Within the grounds a further cottage can be found which has undergone some initial restorative work but equally is in need of a guiding hand to finish. In doing so the Linn estate could be restored not only to former splendour but be transformed into an exceptional and utterly unique home once again.
The Linn, designed in 1858 by William Motherwell, stands at the centre of the botanic garden. It is a two-storey, rambling-plan, gabled Italianate villa of whinstone and sandstone rubble with harl-pointing. Its adjacent garden terrace was built by Dr Jim Taggart in 1974 using stone from the retaining wall of a croquet lawn. Spanning the Meikle Burn, the stone, single-arched Destiny Bridge was also constructed by Jim Taggart in 2000 as a millennium project and as a replacement for an earlier wooden bridge. It features a carved stone recording the algebraic formula that underpins the bridge’s elliptical form.
Other architectural features within the gardens include Linn Cottage, built in 1925, glasshouses above the house and at the plant sales area, and steps up the cliff constructed from cast iron colliery rail track. A small octagonal kiosk with red window frames located at the entrance of the nursery area was designed and built by James and Jim Taggart in 1996. A former summerhouse, also with red window frames, provides shelter at the edge of the bottom pond. Moved several times in its history, this summerhouse was once mounted on a revolving platform.