Neo-Classical French Chateau in the Rubber Capital of the World. In 1926 Harvey S. Firestone, Jr., the son of the founder of the Firestone Tire & Rubber Company commissioned nationally known Boston architect Charles R. Greco to build his residence. The interiors of the Firestone Estate are studies in chaste refinement and elegance. Mrs. Firestone’s interest in the traditional French decorative arts brought definition to this space.
The generous entrance hall, its dramatic staircase delineated by ornamental wrought iron, leads to the principal first-floor rooms, all in the manner of Louis XVI in the style of Versailles. There are exquisite antique marble fireplaces with delicately detailed gilded overmantel mirrors, and richly embellished crown mouldings and architraves. In all, the Harvey S. Firestone, Jr. house exemplifies the very best of period-revival thinking. It must be considered one of Akron’s great residences of any period – significant for its architectural design, the importance of its architect, and its historical association with the Firestone family.
The Original estate of 1.9 acres has been expanded to 3.29 acres with 933 ft. frontage on Twin Oaks Road. The main house includes a carriage house with squash court and 2nd floor guest quarters. There are 9 separate gardens with 3 fountains, and includes a 1-acre private arboretum with large pond and waterfall. The gates, exterior, and interior of the house have been fully restored.