1881 The Tarr House In Talbott Tennessee
2378 Tarr Road, Talbott, Tennessee, 37877
3 baths ¦ 4 beds ¦ 3,616 sq ft ¦ 14 acres
About This 1881 The Tarr House In Talbott Tennessee
The history of the Tarr House reflects the migration of Irish and Virginia landowners to east Tennessee. Archibald Tarr built the house in 1881 for his new bride. At that time the Tarr-Lonas family had 1600 acres. Over the years the land has been sold off but 14.78 original acres remain. In 1984-6 the Lewis family of Knoxville refurbished the home from its derelict condition into a spectacular $250,000 renovation.
In 20013-17 the current owners invested $150,000 to bring the old mansion into the 21st century: a new metal roof on both the barn and house; tuck-pointed the brick; refurbished the 43 windows; R-22 insulation, two new HVAC Trane units and upgraded electrical wiring. Cable and wireless internet have all been incorporated as the focus of keeping this house as a “house to actually be living in”.
The Tarr House, as she stands amid her grove of 136 year old red maples, and watches over the valley from her hill crest looking toward the Smoky Mountains, is truly an example of how living in the 19th century can lend grace and beauty to life in the 21st century. More about this estate (pictures, history, and updates) can be seen on the website.
OLD LISTING PHOTOS: